As a supervisory authority, the Belgian Audit Oversight Board (BAOB) ensures that tasks carried out by statutory auditors are of high quality, objective and independent, and it enforces the legislative and regulatory framework. For the most part, the BAOB does this a preventively, but its mandate also includes conducting in-depth investigations into serious infringements.
Our work is at the interface of financial, economic and legal matters and hence touches on all facets of Belgian economic life.
We work mainly with and for people, and strive to enhance trust in financial reporting among families saving for the future, investors and all those who stand to benefit from correct financial - and soon - non-financial sustainability reporting by companies.
We are recruiting committed professionals who are interested in a career working in the public interest, with competitive conditions and flexibility when it comes to work-life balance.
Are you an auditor with a vision and a mission?
Convinced that society needs strong and critical statutory auditors?
Interested in working with a diverse group of talented professionals who are at the top of their field and strive for excellent audit quality and respect for the highest ethical and professional standards? If so, come and work with us, and send us your CV.
Do you think you fit this profile and would like to talk it over before you send in your CV? If so, feel free to request an informational interview with Secretary General Ann De Roeck by email to Ann.DeRoeck@fsma.be.
WHERE WILL YOU BE WORKING?
You will be working at the general secretariat of the Belgian Audit Oversight Board, which supervises statutory auditors (audit firms). You will be part of a dynamic team where quality and ethical principles are the priority. As an audit specialist, you will work in a variety of different domains. You will be supported by colleagues who are at the top of their field.
For quality controls of auditors (audit firms) of public interest entities, you will be working with inspectors from the FSMA’s Central Inspection Team. For quality controls of auditors (audit firms) of non-public interest entities, you will be working with the auditor inspectors appointed by the BAOB.
You will contribute to the enforcement of the regulatory framework, participate in consultation with stakeholders and monitor international developments.
Like the entire general secretariat of the BAOB, you will be on the payroll of the FSMA and will alternate between working from home and days working on site at the FSMA building.
WHAT WILL YOUR JOB ENTAIL?
- You will be working with colleagues at the general secretariat on implementing the annual action plan of the Belgian Audit Oversight Board (available in Dutch and French only) and thereby contribute to the ongoing reinforcement of the quality of audits in Belgium.
- You will listen with an open mind to the arguments of the auditors (audit firms) under supervision.
- You will consult in a professional manner with national and international stakeholders and consultation bodies.
- You will report to the Secretary General of the BAOB and present your dossiers to the Committee of the BAOB, which makes decisions about the measures to be taken.
WHAT KNOWLEDGE, EXPERIENCE AND SKILLS DO YOU BRING?
- A university degree, such as a Master’s in Economics, Business Engineering, Finance, etc.
- A minimum of 3 years’ experience as an auditor, gained through increasing responsibilities at a statutory audit firm.
- An explicit interest in auditing, audit quality, changes in the sector such as supervision of non-financial sustainability reporting, as well as in the many new developments, such as digitalization, AI, etc.
- Strong adaptability and interpersonal skills. Ability to work on a team and to take initiative.
- Strong analytical skills and a capacity for synthesis. The ability to communicate in a clear and structured manner both verbally and in writing, and to express complex topics in clear language.
- Goal-orientedness, assertiveness and persuasive powers of argumentation.
- Solid competence in Dutch and French and a good command of English.
WHAT DO WE OFFER YOU?
- Full-time work with a permanent contract on the payroll of the FSMA.
- An opportunity to do your bit to protect society and strengthen trust in financial reporting.
- A competitive salary package with many fringe benefits (including group and hospitalization insurance, full reimbursement of the costs of commuting to/from work, budget-friendly company dining room, contribution to your mobile phone and internet subscriptions, additional non-statutory holidays, bank holidays, etc.).
- A wide range of opportunities for learning and development.
- Flexible working hours.
- Work/life balance (teleworking a few days a week).
- Opportunities for internal mobility.
- Offices within easy reach of Brussels city centre.
Please note that staff members of the Belgian Audit Oversight Board are subject to a strict code of ethics and bound by the obligation of professional secrecy.