- Would you like to contribute to the public good?
- Do you have substantial experience with legal proceedings?
- Are you interested in the subject of audit standards?
If so, come and join our Legal Service!
The Legal Service acts as a sort of internal legal consultancy that assists the other services of the FSMA (which also employ many legal advisors) in analysing complex legal questions and providing a correct framework for the measures that the FSMA adopts as part of its supervisory activity. The Legal Service also frequently contributes to the drafting of financial legislation and regulations. In addition, it oversees the defence of the FSMA’s decisions against which an appeal has been lodged, and to this end works the lawyers appointed by the FSMA for the purpose.
As a legal advisor with the Legal Service, you will analyse legal questions that arise in the exercise of the various powers of the FSMA, and will propose answers and/or solutions. Such questions are often complex and concern the interpretation or application of the various laws that the FSMA is tasked with enforcing, the principles of administrative law that a supervisory authority needs to take into consideration in exercising its powers, and the organization and functioning of the FSMA. You may also be asked to contribute to preparing legislative and regulatory texts and to monitoring administrative sanction procedures.
A position has opened up in the Legal Service for a legal advisor who can (help) represent the Belgian Audit Oversight College (hereafter 'the College') in proceedings before the Sanctions Committee of the FSMA.
Although the College is a separate legal person from the FSMA, the FSMA Sanctions Committee has been designated by Belgian law as the competent body to impose a number of administrative measures or an administrative fine on a statutory auditor. These proceedings are initiated in the event that a statutory auditor breaches the applicable legislative and regulatory framework, which includes audit standards. Proceedings before the Sanctions Committee usually consist of both an exchange of written opinions and an oral hearing.
To represent it at these proceedings, the College calls upon specific members of the staff of the Legal Service of the FSMA. It is for that activity that a position has opened up. If you take up this post, you will also participate in the general operations of the legal service, and therefore must be open to handling other types of legal matters.
- You have a Master’s degree in law.
- You have at least 3 years’ experience in the written and oral aspects of judicial or administrative proceedings. Experience with regard to administrative sanction proceedings and ethics cases is a particular asset.
- You have experience with audit standards or, if not, have an interest in the subject and are prepared to familiarize yourself more closely with it.
- You have solid competence in Dutch and French and a good command of English.
- You are sufficiently open to dealing with other legal issues on a wide range of matters, often in a European context.
- You have excellent analytical and writing skills. You are able to handle complex legal questions efficiently and, where necessary, in considerable depth. You work with great precision and apply a reliable method of analysis.
- You are professional, stress-resistant, assertive and rigorous.
What do we offer you?
- A permanent full-time contract.
- Your work at the FSMA will have an important social impact, as you will be contributing to consumer protection.
- You can thus expect a competitive salary package with a wide range of family-friendly and fringe benefits (including group and hospitalization insurance, full reimbursement of public transport costs, budget-friendly company dining room, contribution to your mobile phone and internet subscriptions, additional non-statutory holidays, bank holidays, etc.).
- In addition, you can maintain a good work-life balance.
- Flexible working hours.
- But there is more. We offer many opportunities to those who wish to seize them. We provide numerous options for training and development. You will have space to take initiatives. And you will be collaborating on challenging projects. Rest assured that you will never be stuck in a rut.
- Easy to reach location in central Brussels.
Each member of the FSMA staff is subject to a strict code of ethics and is bound by the obligation of professional secrecy.