Do you consider honest and fair treatment of financial consumers important? Would you like to help monitor the honesty and integrity of actors in the financial sector?
Then come and join our team at the FSMA!
And become a Legal Advisor in the “Supervision of asset management and of bank savings and investment products” department.
WHERE WILL YOU BE WORKING?
Many consumers find financial products difficult to understand, or they do not take enough time to look closely into financial matters. As a result, they are often unaware of financial risks. Problems may therefore arise. The FSMA supervises financial products and takes initiatives to prevent problems and enhance consumer confidence in such products. Its supervision is intended to help ensure that the products offered are understandable, safe, useful and cost-transparent.
Your post will be located within the “Supervision of asset management and of bank savings and investment products” department. You will be part of the bilingual (FR-NL) team that is responsible for supervising banking products such as savings accounts, structured products and alternative products.
WHAT IMPACT WILL YOU HAVE?
As a legal advisor,
- you will supervise the compliance of structured financial products with the FSMA’s Moratorium on the distribution of particularly complex structured products and you will check advertisements for those products;
- you will be responsible for scrutinizing prospectuses for banking products or derivatives;
- you will answer consumers’ questions on savings accounts;
- you will participate in specific transversal projects and in the preparation and implementation of Belgian and European legislation on banking products and alternative products such as crypto‑assets.
WHAT DO YOU BRING?
- A Master’s degree in law. A specialization in economic and/or financial law is an asset.
- Preferably three years’ professional experience in the financial sector.
- A good knowledge of general financial legislation and financial products. Familiarity with structured products is an asset.
- Excellent analytical and writing skills.
- Ability to handle complex legal questions effectively, in a European context where applicable.
- Ability to maintain professional contacts with financial sector participants and to defend positions vis-à-vis your interlocutors.
- Ability to adapt to new situations and are attentive to interpersonal relations.
- Commitment to the tasks of general interest with which the FSMA is entrusted.
- Solid competence in Dutch, French and English.
WHAT DO WE OFFER YOU?
- A full-time job with a permanent contract.
- Your work at the FSMA will have an important social impact, as you will be contributing to consumer protection.
- You can expect a competitive salary package with a wide range of family-friendly and fringe benefits (including group and hospitalization insurance, full reimbursement of public transport costs, budget-friendly company dining room, contribution to your mobile phone and internet subscriptions, additional non-statutory holidays, bank holidays, etc.).
- Good work/life balance (possibility of teleworking).
- Flexible working hours.
- Easy to reach location in central Brussels.
- Numerous options for training and development.
Each member of the FSMA staff is subject to a strict code of ethics and is bound by the obligation of professional secrecy.