Would you like to contribute as an economist to better consumer protection and to increasing public trust in the financial sector?
Come and join the FSMA team and become an economist at the ‘Supervision of insurance’ service
WHERE WILL YOU BE WORKING?
You will be part of the ‘Supervision of Insurance’ service, which ensures that insurance companies comply with the rules as far as consumer protection is concerned.
The work is highly varied, and includes supervision of advertisements, checking that insurance products provide sufficient value to the consumer, supervision of the complexity of insurance products, supervision of compliance with ESG rules, etc.
In addition, the service also participates in the international activities of the European supervisory authority EIOPA.
You will join a dynamic team with colleagues who are at the top of their profession and where quality is the highest priority.
WHAT WILL YOUR JOB ENTAIL?
As an economist, you will be involved in all aspects of supervision. These include:
- Conducting economic analyses to determine whether insurance products offer sufficient value to the consumer (‘value for money’ analyses).
- Further developing the risk model further based on the various databases to which the FSMA has access.
- Working with colleagues in the service when supervising insurance products, including both life insurance (class 21, class 23, etc.) and non-life insurance products.
- Collaborating with the ‘Data analysis’ service to detect potential risks.
- Providing support to delineating the FSMA’s positions for the European supervisory authority EIOPA, and may participate in international working groups.
WHAT KNOWLEDGE, EXPERIENCE AND SKILLS DO YOU BRING?
- A Master’s degree in (applied) economics, business engineering or actuarial science.
- At least 2 years’ experience, preferably as an economist, risk manger or consultant in the financial sector or as a doctoral candidate.
- An explicit interest in the insurance sector and for the various new developments in that area.
- Ability to work on a team and to take initiative.
- Strong analytical skills and a capacity for synthesis. Ability to explain complex material in a way that is easy to understand.
- Capable of working in a goal-oriented and autonomous manner.
- A good knowledge of the commonly used Microsoft Office applications, and in particular Excel.
- Solid competence in Dutch and French and a good command of
WHAT DO WE OFFER YOU?
- A full-time job with a permanent contract.
- The chance to do your bit for consumer protection.
- A competitive salary package with many fringe benefits (including group and hospitalization insurance, full reimbursement of the costs of commuting to/from work, budget-friendly company dining room, contribution to your mobile phone and internet subscriptions, additional non-statutory holidays, bank holidays, etc.).
- A wide range of opportunities for learning and development.
- Flexible working hours.
- Good work/life balance (teleworking a few days a week).
- Opportunities for internal mobility.
- Offices within easy reach of Brussels city centre.
Please note that each member of the FSMA staff is subject to a strict code of ethics and is bound by the obligation of professional secrecy.