Would you like to contribute as a legal advisor to increasing public confidence in the financial sector and protecting consumers?
Join us at the FSMA and become a legal advisor in the 'Supervision of lenders and intermediaries' department.
WHERE WILL YOU WORK?
The 'Supervision of lenders and intermediaries' department is tasked with supervising compliance with the legal conditions which insurance and reinsurance intermediaries, intermediaries in banking and investment services, credit intermediaries and lenders are required to meet in order to be permitted to carry out their activities. At the end of 2020, there were more than 22,000 intermediaries (including more than 10,000 insurance intermediaries) and more than 150 lenders active on the Belgian market.
WHAT WILL YOUR JOB ENTAIL?
- Surrounded by experienced specialists, you will be able to develop your talents to the full while leading a team of 3 or 4 people responsible for the first-line supervision of the entities subject to the department’s supervision. In this capacity, you will provide the team with technical support in managing the supervisory tasks and will help the team set priorities.
- With the other members of the department, you will help ensure the smooth functioning of the supervisory activities planned and carried out in line with the strategy outlined by the department. In this way, you will help achieve an evolving, efficient and proportionate supervisory approach.
- You will mainly be working with other members of the department. You will also have regular contacts with the legal service, chiefly when preparing new legal and regulatory texts (European directives, Belgian laws and royal decrees). You will also consult with other services of the FSMA in shared supervisory areas.
- You will engage in external contacts with the professional associations representing the sectors under supervision.
WHAT KNOWLEDGE, EXPERIENCE AND SKILLS DO YOU BRING?
- A Master’s degree in law. A specialization in insurance law and/or in banking law is an asset.
- At least 3 to 5 years of experience in the area of insurance and/or banking and investment services and/or in the credit sector OR at least 2 years of experience in a relevant position and a strong affinity for financial law.
- Familiarity with financial law and with the principal concepts and practices of the financial insurance sectors.
- An analytical mind combined with an excellent capacity for synthesis. Precision and professionalism are your hallmarks.
- Excellent capacity for logical structuring of oral and written communication.
- Ability to work as part of a team as well as independently.
- Fluency in Dutch and solid competence in written and spoken French and English.
- Commitment to ongoing improvement.
- Knowledge of the commonly used Microsoft Office applications (Outlook, Word, Excel, etc.).
WHAT WE OFFER
- A permanent full-time contract.
- The opportunity to contribute to consumer protection.
- A competitive salary package with many fringe benefits (including group and hospital insurance, full reimbursement of public transport costs, budget-friendly company cafeteria, contribution to your mobile phone and internet subscriptions, additional non-statutory holidays, bank holidays, etc.).
- Many opportunities for training and development.
- Flexible working hours.
- Good work/life balance (possibility of teleworking).
- Policy of internal mobility.
- An easy to reach location in central Brussels.
Each member of the FSMA staff is subject to a strict code of ethics and is bound by the obligation of professional secrecy.