Would you like to contribute as a legal counsel to better consumer protection and to increasing public trust in the financial sector?
Come and join our FSMA team and become a legal counsel at the ‘Central inspection team and Supervision of conduct of business rules’ department (Conduct unit)
WHERE WILL YOU BE WORKING?
The ‘Central Inspection team and Supervision of conduct of business rules’ department fulfils a key role in supervising compliance with conduct of business rules. The rules of conduct require companies to act honestly, fairly, and professionally towards their clients. The best-known of these are the MiFID and the IDD rules of conduct. The FSMA supervises compliance with these rules and thereby contributes to a financial system that is at the service of society, inspires confidence and gives top priority to the interests of consumers.
Rules of conduct are often set out in a general way. The policy of the FSMA is shaped in response to specific supervisory actions: inspections, analysis of documents, websites and apps, contacts with entities under supervision, etc.
WHAT WILL YOUR JOB ENTAIL?
- You will engage in operational supervision of compliance with conduct of business rules. Supervision is carried out within the Conduct unit, which is responsible for “off-site supervision” of compliance with the rules of conduct and ensures that the FSMA’s supervisory actions are taken in line with the legal framework.
- You will follow up on the on-site inspections concerning rules of conduct, and will serve as the contact person for this topic both within the FSMA and beyond.
WHAT KNOWLEDGE, EXPERIENCE AND SKILLS DO YOU BRING?
- A Master’s degree in law.
- At least 3 years’ experience in the financial sector (banks, insurance companies, asset managers, consultancy, specialist law firms, etc.) and a good theoretical and practical understanding of the MiFID rules of conduct.
- An explicit interest in financial markets and products, as well as in the various new developments in those areas.
- Adaptability to new situations and strong interpersonal skills. Ability to work as a team and to take initiative.
- Strong analytical skills and a capacity for synthesis. Ability to communicate in a clear and structured manner both verbally and in writing.
- Goal-orientedness, assertiveness and persuasive powers of argumentation.
- Affinity with the tasks in the public interest entrusted to the FSMA.
- Solid competence in Dutch and French and a good command of English.
WHAT DO WE OFFER YOU?
- A full-time job with a permanent contract.
- The chance to do your bit for consumer protection.
- A competitive salary package with many fringe benefits (including group and hospitalization insurance, full reimbursement of public transport costs, budget-friendly company cafeteria, contribution to your mobile phone and internet subscriptions, additional non-statutory holidays, bank holidays, and more).
- A wide range of opportunities for learning and development.
- Flexible working hours.
- Good work/life balance (possibility of teleworking a few days a week).
- Opportunities for internal mobility.
- Offices within easy reach of Brussels city centre.
Each member of the FSMA staff is subject to a strict code of ethics and is bound by the obligation of professional secrecy.